The Handlebar Club Forum

"A Handlebar Moustache is indeed a glorious facial hair feature. Whether it stands alone or crowns some other form of facial hair, the glory comes from it being a 'Handlebar' and not simply an ordinary moustache." - Schnauzer

It is currently 8:23 on Thursday April 24th 2014

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Handlebar Club Forum.

You are viewing our Forums as a Guest of The Handlebar (Moustache) Club of Great Britain, with limited access to view most discussions and our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, but please carefully note our membership rules and guidelines in our registration Terms Of Service. YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Please note that you do NOT need to agree to ANY of the Offers on the sign-up page - just click No thanks for each offer you don't want.

NOTE: There is an error on the first offer page after you press
No thanks! Just ignore the error report, and scroll down to No thanks

We look forward to welcoming you, so please join our community today!

Remember - YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Post subject: Careers and Handlebar Mustaches
PostPosted: 3:01 on Sunday April 6th 2014 

I would like to ask the question which professions benefit by having a handlebar mustache, which ones is it a detriment, and which ones does it really not make much of a difference.

The reason that I say that is that I have made a career change. Starting three weeks ago I became a West Texas oilfield worker. I quit my job as being a waiter. The simple reason for doing this: Money.
Attachment:
smudged.jpg

As a waiter I was kind of a show pony. People liked my mustache and it made a difference. I would show up at table sometimes and people who I had never met before would say "I am so glad that you are going to be my waiter today." I would get many positive comments throughout the day as far as how much people liked my mustache both at my table or the other tables where I might be walking by at the time. It was was definitely a conversation starter and I enjoyed the attention that the mustache gave me.

As an oilfield worker, however, no one makes any comments about my mustache because nobody really cares. I am not out there to be the center of attention, I'm out there to do hard work. I work in wind, dust, extreme temperatures and in other circumstances that so make a handlebar mustache look less than perfect. I get dirty and work very long hours. The public and never sees me at work because I am in secured areas. Because of this, I really don't take much effort and styling it in the morning because I realized after a couple of minutes out in the wind and the dust, the mustache will not look very good anyway.

So this brings me back to my question what are the careers where a handlebar mustache is an advantage. I would say that it is anything dealing with the public in an entertainment type position. Waiters, musicians, and other entertainers should definitely have handlebar mustaches.

Men in some careers probably should not have them, especially think politicians. We really haven't seen any politicians in the United States with handlebar mustaches since President Howard Taft 100 years ago. Politics is all about getting votes. One can only imagine the caricatures of tying innocent people to the railroad tracks, or spending money like it was monopoly money, for any man trying to get into politics with a handlebar mustache. I can think of no currently active politicians with handlebar mustaches.

For most of the rest of us, handlebar mustache is probably don't make too much of a difference for our careers. As a Realtor people liked my mustache but I don't think it helped me make any sales.

What are your thoughts? How does your mustache affect your work?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The moustache is the "Mo" in my Mojo!

Post subject: Re: Careers and Handlebar Mustaches
PostPosted: 4:12 on Sunday April 6th 2014 

NMJohn wrote:
Waiters, musicians, and other entertainers should definitely have handlebar mustaches.

... add cowboys, but not cowgirls. :wink:

Face grown since 2001

View my album in the HBC Forum Members Gallery

PostPosted: 4:52 on Sunday April 6th 2014 

^ Indeed!

Well for me it suits my line of work, being a carpenter it goes well with the job and holds up well even on the toughest jobs. Well, that last part sounds like an advertisement. Built mustache tough. Can haul 4000 lbs. Takes a lickin' keeps on tickin'.

Congratulations on the new line of work John, I hope it goes well for you. National Geographic had a very in-depth article on the oil field boom and how people from all across the U.S. are flocking to it which I certainly understand, myself being one of many who is suffering from the poor economy.

Mustachionado • A mustache aficionado.
- Me

PostPosted: 5:35 on Sunday April 6th 2014 

It hasn't hurt in my work. I think there are times, given what you're doing, when a guy just has to let be what will be. Wind and dust and working hard, just grin and not allow yourself to get obsessed over how it looks. And all the best to you in west Texas...making you WTX John, not NMJohn?

Does your chest ever get jealous of your upper lip? - Bob Hope, to Jerry Colonna

PostPosted: 9:06 on Sunday April 6th 2014 

John, it's great to hear from you again and know that you are OK!
As a young person I had to move from the country to the city to get the work that I needed to do, and it's not easy, so I empathise with you.
The good news is that you've kept your magnificent moustache, and also your sense of humour.
I have to say that your moustache never looked better, despite the job, and so what if it goes uncommented on at work, you can bet your boots it's been noticed!!!
Having worked all my life in science and charities my facial hair and appearance was never an issue....in fact my co-workers always seemed to quite like having an extrovert in the group!!
Welcome back NMJohn, WTXJohn.....doesn't have the same ring to it!

“Great art is never perfect; perfect art is never great.”
― Edward Abbey

PostPosted: 16:27 on Sunday April 6th 2014 

Location: Born in Mexico City. Currently in Victoria, BC, Canada
Hmmm.... Interesting conversation! :thumbup:

As you guys know, I mainly do some teaching as well as some lab work and I'm also a dancer. Teaching can be considered kind of a "performing" activity. Or at least I consider it such. You need to entertain the students so they do not fall asleep. Keeping their attention is often not very easy, particularly when talking chemistry... :thumbdown:

However, I have not found the moustache to be particularly helpful with keeping the students focused. They might remember me more, and may have some impression about my personality (whether it is good or bad is anyone's guess, though!), but I don't think it helps much.

About my work in a lab, well... it sometimes interferes with wearing a mask (for protection purposes), but since I do not have to wear them often, that is not that big of an issue. :magyar

But I can tell you, as a dancer (and particularly for the type of dances we do), the good 'ol 'tache is a great asset. Peope really do enjoy its presence and are not shy to let me know. They also remember me more, and even on the streets people often come up to me and say something along the lines of "oh, you were dancing at [inset place, event]. I remember you because of the mosutache!"... :thumbup: ... So, it would appear that, John, you may be right...

These are my impressions. I hope I didn't bore you. Sorry if I did. :beerstaches:

A "bigotón" or "bigotudo" is the proud wearer of a (big) moustache.

But a "bigot" is someone with rather bigoted views about those who proudly display a hirsute adornment on their upper lips.
:magyar

PostPosted: 15:06 on Monday April 7th 2014 

Congratulations on the new job there. I'm sure the mo' will be very helpful in trapping some dust and dirt before it enters your nose while breathing.

My line of work is secluded in itself also. Many hours spent in a workshop environment with no public interaction. The glassblowers that I see mostly have facial hair and particularly huge beards. More mo's and handlebars than anywhere else I've been at once. I remember walking into class for the first time and expecting people to notice the stache but out of ~25 of us 3 had handlebars. We were easily confused.

PostPosted: 17:28 on Monday April 7th 2014 

In my current day-to-day work, a big tache isn't an issue as I have no interaction with the public - just internal customers. The bosses don't let me near the public, and keep me behind bars with the words 'In case of emergency, release Vinny, stand back" above my desk.

In other roles, the last thing I needed was to draw attention to myself or be easily recognisable in non-work situations. It happened once but luckily the chap who was gearing up for a "full and frank discussion" with me thought better of it.

I also had a job interview recently for a post where being the 'grey' man would be desirable so the tache went.

It is now just 4 days old, bless.

PostPosted: 21:33 on Monday April 7th 2014 

As a medievalist, facial hair is the norm, though we tend towards beards (kempt or otherwise).

PostPosted: 0:40 on Tuesday April 8th 2014 

Good luck with the new job.
Being a "ruffneck" is hard work.
The "A" side of the stach is that I'm the easist guy in the place to find.
The "B" side is the same thing!!!

PostPosted: 4:14 on Tuesday April 8th 2014 

Frank S wrote:
Congratulations on the new job there. I'm sure the mo' will be very helpful in trapping some dust and dirt before it enters your nose while breathing.
You are so right about that.

It amazes me how much dirt and dust is in there when I clean up at the end of the day. This is the same dirt that would be in my nose and lungs otherwise. While we pay so much attention to the shape and our tips, it really is the bushy center that provides the health benefits.

PostPosted: 4:01 on Saturday April 12th 2014 

While out at the movies tonight, a man with a short mustache said to me while waiting "Awesome mustache, I used to have one like that, but I now work in the oil fields that they made me shave it for fire and safety reasons."

While I too am an oilfield worker, but my work is in the water delivery side of the business setting up water pipelines between the water source and the drilling location. So, I have no such fire concern.

... But what about all of those fire fighters who wear handlebars?

PostPosted: 5:54 on Saturday April 12th 2014 

Can't see it being a 'hazard'.

I mean, fair dues it might get singed a bit, but it's not going to engulf anyone's head in a fireball and kill them to death.

Maybe the H&S rep can't grow a decent tache so he'll be buggered if he'll let anyone else grow one?

PostPosted: 6:57 on Saturday April 12th 2014 

I'm a pastor. Some people think it's silly, which is fine. Some love it, which is fine. I find it interesting, all these pre-conceptions of what how you have to look to do what I do. Nah. I get to be me and my people trust me because they know I'm not trying to be a different person when I'm working than when I'm not.

PostPosted: 15:14 on Saturday April 12th 2014 

Alfredo wrote:
Teaching can be considered kind of a "performing" activity. Or at least I consider it such. You need to entertain the students so they do not fall asleep. Keeping their attention is often not very easy, particularly when talking chemistry... :thumbdown:

In my university days, I had a lecturer who quoted the famous line "Repetitio mater studiorum".
Why? "Because they're all sleeping, but not at the same time!" :lol: