The Handlebar Club Forum

"A Handlebar Moustache is indeed a glorious facial hair feature. Whether it stands alone or crowns some other form of facial hair, the glory comes from it being a 'Handlebar' and not simply an ordinary moustache." - Schnauzer

It is currently 8:55 on Monday April 27th 2015

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Handlebar Club Forum.

You are viewing our Forums as a Guest of The Handlebar (Moustache) Club of Great Britain, with limited access to view most discussions and our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, but please carefully note our membership rules and guidelines in our registration Terms Of Service. YOU MUST USE YOUR REAL FIRST, SECOND OR BOTH NAMES IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. IF ALREADY TAKEN - THE FORUM WILL TELL YOU - TRY ADDING ANY NUMBERS OF YOUR CHOICE. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Please note that you do NOT need to agree to ANY of the Offers on the sign-up page - just click No thanks for each offer you don't want.

NOTE: There is an error on the first offer page after you press
No thanks! Just ignore the error report, and scroll down to No thanks

We look forward to welcoming you, so please join our community today!

Remember - YOU MUST USE YOUR REAL NAME(S) IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Post subject: Do any of your relatives have a handlebar?
PostPosted: 0:51 on Saturday June 2nd 2012 

I found out yesterday that my dad used to wax his moustache. This blew me away because I never knew he ever had a moustache, let alone waxed it. I asked him when he did this, and he couldn't remember; it was just a long time ago. It must have been before I was born, or at the most when I was very young because I have no recollection of him with a moustache. Do any of your relatives have a handlebar, or are you "it" in your family?

Post subject: Re: Do any of your relatives have a handlebar?
PostPosted: 3:26 on Saturday June 2nd 2012 

None, but I urge some to try it once for a bit of fun. So far, no takers. Even ancestors in what few photos we have don't wear them, but I'm sure some did.

It's not always the moustache you carry, but it's always how you carry the moustache.

Two Week Rule: Never cut your handlebar moustache off until you hate it for two weeks solid.

PostPosted: 8:56 on Saturday June 2nd 2012 

None here either (though my dad had a moustache for 25 years) - but my uncle came to visit us for a couple of weeks recently and I tried to convince him to go handlebar. He is a long-time moustache wearer and the handlebar is one style he has not had... I'm going to keep up the pressure by email and if we are lucky we might see him pop up around here some day ;)

PostPosted: 19:07 on Saturday June 2nd 2012 

xjoe wrote:
Do any of your relatives have a handlebar, or are you "it" in your family?

I am currently the only known person in our family to have an handlebar moustache. Other members have had moustaches of one description or another and at one time or another. I recall both my grandfathers with cropped moustaches until the day they died. Two of my dad's brothers each had one and my father grew one for a brief period in 1986, but that was after I left home; I never saw it, except in a photo. A couple of my cousins had 'taches too.

It's funny how as a young kid you hear some of your family's history from your elders. Some stays stored in your memory, only to be retrieved again as an adult and when you've decided it's time to delve into genealogy. A few years ago I found a picture of an Austro-Hungarian officer c1873 of the same family name as my mother. There are a few other things about him besides the family name that fit, but I won't go there in this Topic or Forum. He'd be about five generations back and I have already verified that ancestor, but he is related and one day I hope to find out where he fits. Anyway, here he is and with an Imperial handlebar moustache.

Face grown since 2001

View my album in the HBC Forum Members Gallery

PostPosted: 13:37 on Sunday June 3rd 2012 

Location: Born in Mexico City. Currently in Victoria, BC, Canada
Schnauzer wrote:
A few years ago I found a picture of an Austro-Hungarian officer c1873 of the same family name as my mother. There are a few other things about him besides the family name that fit, but I won't go there in this Topic or Forum. He'd be about five generations back and I have already verified that ancestor, but he is related and one day I hope to find out where he fits.

That is a very interesting story, Schnauzer! I hope you find out where this guy fits in your family. His moustache is nothing in comparison to yours, though... maybe because he is from your mother's side? :lol:

xjoe wrote:
I found out yesterday that my dad used to wax his moustache. This blew me away because I never knew he ever had a moustache, let alone waxed it. I asked him when he did this, and he couldn't remember; it was just a long time ago. It must have been before I was born, or at the most when I was very young because I have no recollection of him with a moustache. Do any of your relatives have a handlebar, or are you "it" in your family?

To my knowledge, in my family I am 'it'. However, both of my grandfathers sported neatly trimmed moustaches for a really long time. In fact, I never knew either of them without a moustache. Also, a few uncles and cousins have (or have had) moustaches or moustache/beard combos of some sort, but none of them have ever sported a handlebar. My father has never had any sort of facial hair. He tried once many years ago, but complained that it was too 'itchy' and gave up within a week :? . Recently I tried to convince my father-in-law to grow a moustache for the first time in his life, but since he doesn't speak English (and I don't speak Japanese), the conversation didn't go very far and he is still moustacheless... So, it's only me, but I don't see myself giving up on it any time soon! I really like it! :D :red:

A "bigotón" or "bigotudo" is the proud wearer of a (big) moustache.

But a "bigot" is someone with rather bigoted views about those who proudly display a hirsute adornment on their upper lips.
:magyar

PostPosted: 20:42 on Sunday June 3rd 2012 

No one in my family, but my father in law has had one several times. Both my father and my grandfather had beards with no mustache. I guess this makes me sort of a facial hair non conformist in my family.
:magyar

PostPosted: 18:29 on Wednesday June 6th 2012 

Two of my great-grandfathers.

I ended up with a broken fiddle -
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories.
And not a single regret. (E. L. Masters)

Kindly take a look at my blog: http://www.weavingcowboy.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 19:08 on Thursday June 7th 2012 

My grandfather on my fathers side had an enormous handlebar. I only just saw a picture of him. Never knew him, he died in 1908 when my father was one year old. I will try to scan the pic and post.
Mustachiomike

PostPosted: 21:18 on Thursday June 7th 2012 

My grandfather sported a moustache in his 20's when he played Rugby for Scotland & Richmond (& The Lions). He was definitely captain of the Scots and Richmond but not the lions.

His obituary has a good tash pic although I've not seen a photo of him with any graspable extremities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... month.html

Check out my blog here: http://RiverMonkey.tumblr.com

PostPosted: 3:40 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

So, after I scraped off my beard, and my family saw my HB in it's stand-alone glory, I was informed that my father had a HB about 10 years before I was born. He grew it in 1958 with a bunch of other folks from the town he lived in for the 75th anniversary of the founding of the town. He sh*ved it off pretty soon because he was travelling around the state doing audits on county treasurers, and all the people he worked with were harassing him about it, since they didn't come from Holdrege. Since it was a "contest" mo, it wasn't near and dear to him, and so it went. Nevertheless, it looked pretty good, I think. He waxed it pretty heavily. This is the only picture of him with it that I could find, although one sister says there's another of him with the mo, holding our older sister. She would have been less than a year old at the time.

Ed: Caucasian?
Jane: Yeah, you know, a white guy. A moustache. About six-foot-three.
Lt. Drebin: Awfully big moustache.

PostPosted: 4:30 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

ChrisS, that's awesome! Too bad you never saw the HB moustache in person.

Does your chest ever get jealous of your upper lip? - Bob Hope, to Jerry Colonna

PostPosted: 10:42 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

No kidding Trent, it is too bad he never saw it in person.
My father, and some other relatives had a moustache in the 80s. None of those I know of grew a HB though.
I guess that leaves me blazing trails for the generations ahead!

Every day's an adventure!

PostPosted: 15:01 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

On clearing my nans loft out I found very small pictures of my dads grandparents and other family members who would of been about early 1900s...3 gentleman ( one my dads grandfather, is that my great grandfather ) sported fantastic moustaches, wish I could post the pics but they are tiny on a family tree thingy which is at my dads now

― Johnny Cash

PostPosted: 6:34 on Friday May 9th 2014 
My kid brother has one now.

Post subject: Re: Let's see your Handlebar (moustache) - Volume 4
PostPosted: 2:14 on Wednesday April 15th 2015 

This is one of my ancestors. I knew my Handlebar was a family thing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.