The Handlebar Club Forum

"A Handlebar Moustache is indeed a glorious facial hair feature. Whether it stands alone or crowns some other form of facial hair, the glory comes from it being a 'Handlebar' and not simply an ordinary moustache." - Schnauzer

It is currently 17:42 on Thursday July 24th 2014

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Handlebar Club Forum.

You are viewing our Forums as a Guest of The Handlebar (Moustache) Club of Great Britain, with limited access to view most discussions and our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, but please carefully note our membership rules and guidelines in our registration Terms Of Service. YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Please note that you do NOT need to agree to ANY of the Offers on the sign-up page - just click No thanks for each offer you don't want.

NOTE: There is an error on the first offer page after you press
No thanks! Just ignore the error report, and scroll down to No thanks

We look forward to welcoming you, so please join our community today!

Remember - YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Post subject: My daily challenge/struggle...
PostPosted: 23:41 on Thursday July 10th 2014 

So, being about 8 months or so into my handlebar. When I first started, I Youtubed various videos on "how to style a handlebar". I was pleased when I saw the methods. To paraphrase:

'I generally get a thumbnail scraping - roughly 1/3 the size of a gnat's turd - completely work it into my mustache, and it immediately goes into place, and hold all day. Voila!'

Well, my reality has been something rather different...my mustache, as it's grown out, curls sort of corkscrew-like. In exactly the OPPOSITE direction of what we'd all wish for.

I've been using G2B Glued hair spiking gel, and get pretty good results from that. But - when I use a "normal" wax, here's roughly what I get:

First, a couple of pix right after the shower & washImageImage

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: My daily challenge/struggle...
PostPosted: 23:42 on Thursday July 10th 2014 

After blow dry...ImageImage

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 23:44 on Thursday July 10th 2014 

Just some finger shaping. Various angles really show the curvature.

PostPosted: 23:46 on Thursday July 10th 2014 

And with a low-hold wax (Taylor's of Bond Street) in it, just to further show the shape.

PostPosted: 23:51 on Thursday July 10th 2014 

And if I don't use the G2B spiking gel, here's what it looks like. I think I had Rex Wax on this day.

PostPosted: 23:57 on Thursday July 10th 2014 

I am not sure if I have any good advice for you based on my own experience. Your moustache is clearly more wiry than mine... It could be you need more time with the blow dryer... have you seen Stu's videos?

I'm also thinking that not all products work for all moustaches. If you have found a product that works for you, may as well stick with that. Of course, it is OK to experiment, but there is no need to put yourself in a position where you feel bad about your moustache just because you want to use something else.

That said, I have heard good things about Woodsman moustache wax from a reliable source over on the Beard Board. I haven't tried it yet, but it is apparently pretty strong stuff...

PostPosted: 0:10 on Friday July 11th 2014 

Thanks for the feedback Smedstad! :beerstaches: I might look into the Woodsman's...right now I'll just keep using the G2B. With the few other waxes I've tried so far, the upward curls slowly bend forward until I'm sporting something like bull horns, curved and sticking straight forward! :?

best
Hank

PostPosted: 0:29 on Friday July 11th 2014 

I'd say more time with a blow dyer could do wonders. Many days, I'll re-wet mine 3-4 times to achieve a proper sweep. And for the past several months, I've become a true believer in Lay-Rite super hold pomade. I use it just at the tips (or more accurately, from the edge of my growth area to the tips) and I use what I could only describe as an "obscene" amount of product. I gently sweep my fingers over the tips in order to get achieve saturation. Then i use my thumb and forefinger in much the way I've seen ladies utilize a flattening iron; gently flattening it all. Then a bit more product on my fingers, and roll my fingers - from the corner of my mouth to the tips - to gather the hairs. If you've used enough of the product you'll end up with straight pointy tips. If you don't get that, you haven't used enough. If you have used enough, use your forefinger in much the way you've seen ladies use a curling iron. Wrap it around your finger to curl it around and you'll be golden. It's a water based product and washes out easily but hold all day once it hardens. Use lots. Seriously. Lots.

PostPosted: 14:51 on Friday July 11th 2014 

Been there...and I've got a coupe of thoughts. Your whiskers are naturally somewhat curly as mine can be.
Waxes etc ALL require a very fine line to be found and walked along....they add weight to the hair so in time and if too much is used they can defeat the very purpose they exist for.

When I've face a similar problem I've employed a hair iron..about 10 bucks for a cheap one at WalMart, Target, etc. When the mo is damp use the iron to straighten things, getting all the whiskers in the same direction will help immensely. The iron will reduce the kinks and help to gather things. Be careful with it ...gets very hot and you can burn your lip. More importantly (since a burn on your lip will heal) too much heat can destroy parts of the 'stache.

I would suggest straightening it for a few days to a week and NOT trying for curls in that time. Go with a natural side sweep. Once things are behaving begin to try for your curls. And use a hard setting wax or gel ...you are training the whiskers and need to get them to take a new shape. At this point I would straighten with the iron then set into curls with a dryer.

I've been in a similar spot and this has worked for me. My mo is to a point where I can shower at night, hit it with the dryer (from the bottom up) and get it to fall into a loose form. Then head to bed...in the morning a moist comb through and I'm good to go since I prefer a natural soft look in the warm weather. If I'm bothering with curls then I straighten and wax to set with the dryer. Most days I'm not even putting in lanolin...just a bit of leave in conditioner at night that I cook in with the dryer.

Everybody has different textures to their moustaches and not everyone can achieve that perfectly done classic curled handlebar. It's all about trial and error to find the way that works for you and your stache.

PostPosted: 15:17 on Friday July 11th 2014 

Hank,
I have to say it's comforting (to me anyway) to see someone else dealing with the same thing I experience on a daily basis. I could certainly post an almost identical series of pictures of my own stache. My daily regimen also is based on the use of Got2Bglued spiking gel. If I use wax at all, it's just to provide a more refined finish to the curls and tips after the spiking gel has already dried. As a result I rarely go with a natural style. If I'm not going out on the weekend I will sometimes skip the G2B, spend a little more time with the hair dryer, brush it, apply lanolin, and then get a not terribly impressive looking natural sweeping stache that still has some drooping and corkscrewing. So far, I have to say that Stu's videos provide the best advice I've seen to date on tackling this approach. I will also add that if you want a really good hold, I have found that two applications (or even more) of the Got2B work best - just be sure to let it dry completely between applications.
As Sailor mentions, it's all about trial and error and finding what works for you.
Best of luck to you!
- Jason

PostPosted: 14:28 on Monday July 14th 2014 

Thanks for the feedback all. My g/f actually came at me with her hair iron, and I said 'You're not putting that screaming hot thing near my mouth!!' Guess maybe I should or could give it a try....might start with it cold, just to get the feel of it, before I go "all out".

I've been wanting to try lanolin too, just to see what it'll do.

One of the key requirements for me is our uniform policy at work; rules state "....a mustache may not extend more than 1/4 inch below the mouth". Doesn't say how far beyond or above the mouth - so I have to ensure the height meets requirements of work! Days off are a bit more low key.

Again - thanks to all for the tips & feedback!

Hank

PostPosted: 14:41 on Monday July 14th 2014 

hankmeister wrote:
My g/f actually came at me with her hair iron, and I said 'You're not putting that screaming hot thing near my mouth!!' Guess maybe I should or could give it a try....might start with it cold, just to get the feel of it, before I go "all out".

If the iron 'browns' a piece of paper, it's too hot.

Face grown since 2001

View my album in the HBC Forum Members Gallery