The Handlebar Club Forum

"A Handlebar Moustache is indeed a glorious facial hair feature. Whether it stands alone or crowns some other form of facial hair, the glory comes from it being a 'Handlebar' and not simply an ordinary moustache." - Schnauzer

It is currently 12:19 on Monday July 28th 2014

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Handlebar Club Forum.

You are viewing our Forums as a Guest of The Handlebar (Moustache) Club of Great Britain, with limited access to view most discussions and our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, but please carefully note our membership rules and guidelines in our registration Terms Of Service. YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Please note that you do NOT need to agree to ANY of the Offers on the sign-up page - just click No thanks for each offer you don't want.

NOTE: There is an error on the first offer page after you press
No thanks! Just ignore the error report, and scroll down to No thanks

We look forward to welcoming you, so please join our community today!

Remember - YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Let's see your Handlebar (moustache) - Volume 4
PostPosted: 7:03 on Thursday May 1st 2014 

Hi guys! Long time no post! I just caught up on this thread, but there is so much new stuff around here, I wonder If I will ever get on top of things again!

Some of you may remember that I decided to take a break from my participation in all online fora around December last year due to my workload. Well, it didn’t slow down over the New Year as I expected (which is good for a freelancer!) so I decided to continue to stay out of the fray. Now I find myself awake early with the kids this beautiful 1st of May holiday and thought I would pop in to say hello.

I shaved off my winter beard around the beginning of march. Although my son was disappointed, it was nice to bring the stache back in focus. And to be honest, I really do enjoy shaving with my great-grandfather’s old Gillette DE razor!

Here is a picture of my moustache in March, right after I shaved off my beard (I have let my head-hair grow out to about an inch and a half since then):

I have trimmed a couple of the super-long hairs at the tips since then, but nothing major. That said, I am considering something more drastic.

Back when I started growing out my moustache in 2010, I told my wife that you need about 3-5 years to see what you are good for. She has not always been positive, but always accepting. Recently, however, she started lamenting about never seeing my beautiful mouth again. She told me that I had the lips of a Greek god and, while I am not a vain man, it was hard not to be affected by that comment! She said that she had nothing against me having the moustache but wondered if I could just take a break from time to time like I have always done with my beard.

It has been quite some time since she has pushed for me to prune back my moustache and this time it really got me thinking. It seems to me that, aside from some of the super-long hairs that occasionally thrust out from the sides, most of my moustache reached terminal length after about 8-9 months. So, even if I do trim or shave, it won’t take me that long to get back the moustache I have now, after nearly 4 years.

I know this does not sound like happy news for handlebar enthusiasts and I have no immediate plans. I’m just thinking... And I always wanted to try a moustache like Vincent Price anyway...

...and then I will still have a moustache and my wife will be able to see my lips. Like long-gone member, Lost Soul, I too am starting to feel the call of the pencil...

Post subject: Re: Let's see your Handlebar (moustache) - Volume 3
PostPosted: 7:23 on Thursday May 1st 2014 

It's really good to see you back John!
Whatever you decide to do your wise words are always much appreciated.
Happy May Day!

“Well! I begin to be ashamed of my magnificence.”
― Horace Walpole - Gentleman

PostPosted: 12:34 on Thursday May 1st 2014 

Welcome back, smedstad. :D

The latter years' gains are evident to me, even if less noticeable to your good self. On the whole, it appears to span the face more. Well done for staying the course.

As for going p#ncil...hmmm, probably best not discussed in a Handlebar Forum. :wink:

Face grown since 2001

View my album in the HBC Forum Members Gallery

PostPosted: 16:16 on Thursday May 1st 2014 

Thanks for the welcome satch and Schnauzer!

Don't worry, nothing's going to happen to my precious moustache any time soon - maybe it never will! When I mentioned to my wife that I had started thinking about trimming she said, "No, you're not really going to do that!?" I think she knows I'll probably regret it and she definitely doesn't want to be the cause! These p#ncil musings may just be like my Magnum musings a while back.

I'm having an excellent moustache day today anyway, with just a quick blow-dry and two drops of jojoba oil :thumbup:

PostPosted: 16:47 on Thursday May 1st 2014 

smedstad wrote:
I'm having an excellent moustache day today anyway, with just a quick blow-dry and two drops of jojoba oil :thumbup:

The image you posted is evidence of your good moustache day.

Interesting, that's my routine but in reverse. I apply the jojoba first and then blow-dry. I find the jojoba helps make the whiskers pliable to style and then the blow-dryer 'fixes' them in place. It might be that we have different hair texture and have just found what works for ourself. I might change the order as an experiment.

Face grown since 2001

PostPosted: 17:29 on Thursday May 1st 2014 

Schnauzer wrote:
Interesting, that's my routine but in reverse. I apply the jojoba first and then blow-dry. I find the jojoba helps make the whiskers pliable to style and then the blow-dryer 'fixes' them in place. It might be that we have different hair texture and have just found what works for ourself. I might change the order as an experiment.

Interesting indeed - and I just may have to reverse the order of my routine as an experiment too :D

I always start with a damp/wet moustache, so it certainly seems pliable enough when I start with the blow-dryer. I still don't have many grey hairs in the stache and the black hairs are not as stiff or coarse - maybe I will need to use a similar tactic when I have more grey...?

I find that a couple drops of jojoba afterwards helps bring those few flyaway hairs back in line and keeps my moustache soft and shiny all day long. Kind of like with lanolin, but lighter.

PostPosted: 20:52 on Monday May 5th 2014 

This photo is about a year old, and the handlebars are a bit longer and the 'stache fuller now.

Regards! Mark

PostPosted: 0:47 on Tuesday May 6th 2014 

Welcome aboard Mark, from a fellow Tennessean. Fine looking moustache you have there.

Every day's an adventure!

PostPosted: 2:40 on Tuesday May 6th 2014 

Welcome back, Mark.

Your 'tache is looking good and it would be nice to have you visit with us more often. :)

Face grown since 2001

PostPosted: 23:20 on Tuesday May 6th 2014 

Good taste in hats, glasses, pen (that's a Cross, isn't it?) and mustasche.

PostPosted: 10:28 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

Attachment:
1498970_10203866350282838_5263989748677205930_o.jpg

Today is a Bad Moustache Day... Doesn't matter what I do, the tips refuse to stay put.... Oh well, better luck tomorrow! :magyar

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 11:30 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

John, that is a picture that Senor Dali himself would have loved to see!
Your moustache has a personality and life all its own :beerstaches:
Thanks for sharing..........hope tomorrows a better styling day for you. :corkscrew

“Well! I begin to be ashamed of my magnificence.”
― Horace Walpole - Gentleman

PostPosted: 14:55 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

Well done!

PostPosted: 15:01 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

JohnSv. Nice job, even if it a BMD. On those days, I always put it in curls and it doesn't look as bad. Great length, John!

I ended up with a broken fiddle -
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories.
And not a single regret. (E. L. Masters)

Kindly take a look at my blog: http://www.weavingcowboy.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 16:35 on Wednesday May 7th 2014 

Location: Born in Mexico City. Currently in Victoria, BC, Canada
John, that looks absolutely fantastic! Thanks for the pic!

A "bigotón" or "bigotudo" is the proud wearer of a (big) moustache.

But a "bigot" is someone with rather bigoted views about those who proudly display a hirsute adornment on their upper lips.
:magyar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next