The Handlebar Club Forum

"A Handlebar Moustache is indeed a glorious facial hair feature. Whether it stands alone or crowns some other form of facial hair, the glory comes from it being a 'Handlebar' and not simply an ordinary moustache." - Schnauzer

It is currently 3:00 on Thursday October 23rd 2014

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Handlebar Club Forum.

You are viewing our Forums as a Guest of The Handlebar (Moustache) Club of Great Britain, with limited access to view most discussions and our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, but please carefully note our membership rules and guidelines in our registration Terms Of Service. YOU MUST USE YOUR REAL FIRST, SECOND OR BOTH NAMES IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. IF ALREADY TAKEN - THE FORUM WILL TELL YOU - TRY ADDING ANY NUMBERS OF YOUR CHOICE. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Please note that you do NOT need to agree to ANY of the Offers on the sign-up page - just click No thanks for each offer you don't want.

NOTE: There is an error on the first offer page after you press
No thanks! Just ignore the error report, and scroll down to No thanks

We look forward to welcoming you, so please join our community today!

Remember - YOU MUST USE YOUR REAL NAME(S) IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Post subject: Re: Getting jiggy with it......
PostPosted: 11:55 on Monday November 19th 2012 

Must Dash wrote:
How the heck do you guys with awesome moustaches cope with kissing ?

There is already a thread on just that topic. Have a look.... it seems the prevailing opinion is that it is best when the moustache is clean and unwaxed, and as for errant hairs tickling nostrils, well, seems like that is just something they have to learn to live with :)

Post subject: Re: Kissing
PostPosted: 15:30 on Tuesday December 4th 2012 

I'm sorry for reviving this long lost thread, but I was looking for something like this for a while.

Being twenty and the lady nineteen it is needless to say the moustache has been an experience for both of us when it comes to these types of things. The hairs can tickle, and you can find either of us giving a bit of a laugh due to a hair up the nose at any given moment but I'm happy that my lady doesn't mind the moustache.

I have found that it works best unwaxed, and finger combed to the side. I will say there is a bit of a technique to it, even finding particular moments when your lady may lose concentration you can find time to quickly do a finger brush, or use her lip to brush the Mo up as Eric said above.

Since it has been a while since anyone has posted in here; Does anyone have any other input, techniques or ideas? I'm sure you gentlemen haven't stopped kissing your ladies. Share your secrets!

PostPosted: 21:24 on Wednesday December 5th 2012 

There is nothing to be sorry about when it comes to reviving old threads. This is not the fastest-moving forum, so it is nice to keep everything on the same topic in one place - even if the original post is old. As for anything new, well, it seems that the un-waxed approach is always best; technique is key; hairs up the nose are unavoidable. I am glad your lady seems to be accommodating with regard to the moustache!

PostPosted: 16:19 on Monday October 7th 2013 

Kissing my wife has become an issue of late.

As I approach my five month mark, for the last couple of weeks I have noticed a lot of hairs entering my mouth while eating recently (which is not that big of deal) and also my wife has really started complaining about hairs getting in the way while kissing. As you can see from this photograph, Yes, the mustache is coming down over my lips (click in to see more detail).
Attachment:
IMGP1715.JPG

She is asking me to trim the never-trim area over the lips. I don't think that she realizes, however, that this will only increase the problem because then she would be stabbed with the sharp ends of the fresh cut. And, it would doom me to having to fight a trimmed center.

I have been using the Push-Tuck-Slide technique and I may try and see if just combing it to the sides opens up the lip area for her. Does anyone else have ideas?

Momma's not happy, and when Mamma's not happy, no one is happy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The moustache is the "Mo" in my Mojo!

PostPosted: 18:22 on Monday October 7th 2013 

Clean, conditioned (soft) and swept to the sides to keep the ol' pie-hole/kisser clear. :wink:

Face grown since 2001

View my album in the HBC Forum Members Gallery

PostPosted: 19:34 on Monday October 7th 2013 

I studiously tuck and sweep. I'm at a stage (about 5 months) where I feel like stray hairs are always making their way down over my lip, but I get stubborn with them and tuck them away. I am also at a point where I can twist from partway up my lip, so if I give things a twist with some wax starting right at the top, it keeps the hairs tucked under a bit better and off my lip. So far, I haven't had any complaints from the boss-lady in the kissing department.

PostPosted: 23:22 on Monday October 7th 2013 

jdto wrote:
but I get stubborn with them and tuck them away.

Since reading your message, I have been more forceful with my tucking and it is clearing my lips. As one of this forums most vocal advocates for tucking, I guess I needed the reminder to follow my own advice.
Schnauzer wrote:
Clean, conditioned (soft) and swept to the sides to keep the ol' pie-hole/kisser clear. :wink:

Clean is not a problem, I will condition it more to soften it up. I think keeping it swept to the sides is the main issue. If the hair is out of the way, I think that she is happy.

I will report back.

PostPosted: 3:10 on Wednesday October 9th 2013 

NMJohn wrote:
jdto wrote:
but I get stubborn with them and tuck them away.

Since reading your message, I have been more forceful with my tucking and it is clearing my lips. As one of this forums most vocal advocates for tucking, I guess I needed the reminder to follow my own advice.
Schnauzer wrote:

Clean is not a problem, I will condition it more to soften it up. I think keeping it swept to the sides is the main issue. If the hair is out of the way, I think that she is happy.

I will report back.

I wouldn't trade those long center hairs for anything! Mine still are quite short but I love the ones that have been there for the long haul and almost reach the tips!

I've been using lanolin almost everyday for about 2-3 months now and my mo is much softer, even the lady has mentioned it. It used to be annoying to her with them hard and brittle, but now I use them more as an umm a cat uses whiskers?

Edit: It's been 8 months since I resurrected this thread for my kissing problems. My mo was at 6 months at that time. I have no more problems with kissing her really except for the occasional hair up either of our noses.

PostPosted: 4:31 on Wednesday October 9th 2013 

Frank S wrote:
I've been using lanolin almost everyday for about 2-3 months now and my mo is much softer, even the lady has mentioned it. It used to be annoying to her with them hard and brittle, but now I use them more as an umm a cat uses whiskers?

Edit: It's been 8 months since I resurrected this thread for my kissing problems. My mo was at 6 months at that time. I have no more problems with kissing her really except for the occasional hair up either of our noses.

Thanks Frank.

I am using American Crew Fiber (major ingredient = lanolin) and I agree that it works magic by both softening and holding. I use it in my head hair too.

Today was a better kissing day. I think just making a conscious effort to keep my lips clear has helped.

It may just be a phase right now as it sounds like your problems happened about at the same growth phase. I am glad that you were able to get past it and give me the same hope.

PostPosted: 14:20 on Wednesday October 9th 2013 

NMJohn wrote:
I will report back.

That was a long kiss.

I had been waiting for your report, but didn't want to interrupt in case something else had been going on. Glad to read it wasn't the kiss of death (for the handlebar).

Face grown since 2001

View my album in the HBC Forum Members Gallery

PostPosted: 5:29 on Thursday October 10th 2013 

Schnauzer wrote:
Nevada
It’s illegal for men with moustaches to kiss women.

Great, now I need to move to a different state. I'm sure I've got a warrant out for my arrest as we speak.

PostPosted: 9:54 on Thursday October 10th 2013 

the other option is to stop kissing because its rude!!! I agree with all advice given, just tuck those hairs out of the way, I tend to comb the lip line hairs up towards my ears and under the surface hairs like an undercut and then allow the longer surface hairs to roll over the top.

Please visit my blog/site: www.hirsuteforhappiness.com

PostPosted: 14:10 on Friday October 18th 2013 

What is wax.