The Handlebar Club Forum

"A Handlebar Moustache is indeed a glorious facial hair feature. Whether it stands alone or crowns some other form of facial hair, the glory comes from it being a 'Handlebar' and not simply an ordinary moustache." - Schnauzer

It is currently 3:32 on Saturday August 23rd 2014

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Handlebar Club Forum.

You are viewing our Forums as a Guest of The Handlebar (Moustache) Club of Great Britain, with limited access to view most discussions and our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, but please carefully note our membership rules and guidelines in our registration Terms Of Service. YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Please note that you do NOT need to agree to ANY of the Offers on the sign-up page - just click No thanks for each offer you don't want.

NOTE: There is an error on the first offer page after you press
No thanks! Just ignore the error report, and scroll down to No thanks

We look forward to welcoming you, so please join our community today!

Remember - YOU MUST USE PART OF YOUR REAL NAME IN YOUR FORUM USER NAME. NON-PERSONAL USER NAMES WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED!

Post subject: Hndelbars Moustache Wax
PostPosted: 19:35 on Thursday May 14th 2009 

Good evening gentlemen, I'm new here, but have had a handlebar 'tash on three seperate occasions and am back growing another.

Working at sea, I frequently just let it run amok but if I am to have any hope of retaining my 'tash on my return to the Wife I do need to keep it tidy, so I wax it. Until now I have used the ubiquitous Clubman, but get irritated when it washes out while drinking.

So useing the wonders of the Internewt I have purchased some 'Hndelbars Moustache wax' - it now awaits me at home. I'm hoping for a fairly strong hold as I have a curly ginger tash (well getting greyer by the year ).

Has anybody tried this relatively new, but badly spelt wax?

http://www.hndlebarsmoustachewax.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: 6:57 on Friday May 15th 2009 

Funny, I just stumbled across that brand on ebay a couple days ago. I'd never heard of it. Let us know how it works out.

It'd been a while since I tried any new wax, so I was also poking around looking for new stuff and found a brand called Cedars Hill Farm (mymoustachewax.com) hand-made by a guy in Kansas. He offers a stiff and a soft version in tubes and two sizes of tins. Fairly cheap and free shipping anywhere in the US and Canada. I have a tin on the way and will report back if it can replace either of the waxes I'm using now.

Post subject: Re: Hndelbars Moustache Wax
PostPosted: 7:33 on Wednesday May 27th 2009 

Hi Simon!

Simon wrote:
Good evening gentlemen, I'm new here, but have had a handlebar 'tash on three seperate occasions and am back growing another.

Working at sea, I frequently just let it run amok but if I am to have any hope of retaining my 'tash on my return to the Wife I do need to keep it tidy, so I wax it. Until now I have used the ubiquitous Clubman, but get irritated when it washes out while drinking.

So useing the wonders of the Internewt I have purchased some 'Hndelbars Moustache wax' - it now awaits me at home. I'm hoping for a fairly strong hold as I have a curly ginger tash (well getting greyer by the year ).

Has anybody tried this relatively new, but badly spelt wax?

http://www.hndlebarsmoustachewax.com/index.html

I also stumbled across that wax recently. As jmrtnko said, I would also be very interested in how it works. I read somewhere that this wax contains Lanolin, which is usually very sticky but can have "a certain smell" :wink:

If you could kindly give us an update - I think we all would be very appreciated :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17:12 on Sunday June 7th 2009 

Well I've been using it for a week or so now, and it walks all over Clubman. As it says on the site it excels at holding shape all day. I have an extremely curly hair, and great difficulty in holding shape.

It is firm, and neutral in colour. I set my 'tash as I get up with the wax - keep it in a tight curl over breakfast then bush it out to a loose handle bar - it holds beautifully all day.

I'm very impressed and have already ordered more.

The only downside is that though I like the "manly" smell, my 16 year old daughter said it smelled of Camels. I can only conclude that I like the smell of camels, in reality it smells of honeycomb and wax quite nice..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 7:23 on Wednesday June 10th 2009 

Hi Simon!

Simon wrote:
Well I've been using it for a week or so now, and it walks all over Clubman. As it says on the site it excels at holding shape all day. I have an extremely curly hair, and great difficulty in holding shape.

It is firm, and neutral in colour. I set my 'tash as I get up with the wax - keep it in a tight curl over breakfast then bush it out to a loose handle bar - it holds beautifully all day.

I'm very impressed and have already ordered more.

The only downside is that though I like the "manly" smell, my 16 year old daughter said it smelled of Camels. I can only conclude that I like the smell of camels, in reality it smells of honeycomb and wax quite nice..

This sounds very interesting, I think I will try it by myself :wink: .

Many thanks for sharing your experinces with us :D

Cheers,

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13:31 on Tuesday June 30th 2009 

Simon wrote:

Those are the essential oils used in it. Try Gravy Jay's Mustache Wax, it has a great hold with a pleasant smell that's not harsh on the senses and holds well in all types of weather.

PostPosted: 18:36 on Monday September 7th 2009 

I got a bit tired of my complicated wax regimen (1/2 Father's, 1/2 Firehouse Dark) and decided a couple months ago to have a "wax-off" between all the brands I hadn't tried yet. I bought up 7 new tins, set up a schedule, made a fancy spreadsheet to rank them, a color chart on which to arrange them, the whole deal. It was going to be great.

I got through Cedars Hill and Gravy Jay's (and each have their benefits), but then I tried the Hndlebars wax.

The test was over. It's pretty much what I'm looking for right now - a stiffer Oregon Wild Hair. That's not really a surprise as, ingredient-wise, it's the same, minus the musk. It must have a higher proportion of beeswax though. The hold is very good, not as much as Firehouse Dark or Cedars Hill stiff, but definitely good enough for my daily wear. I have a nearly black, normally-unruly Dali and with the amount of wax I need, I have a lot of problems with visibility. I loved Oregon because I can put more in before it becomes too noticeable or clumpy. Hndlebars is very similar. I can't put in quite as much, but with the extra hold, I don't need to.

Great stuff. If you like Oregon, but want something stiffer and... [cough] cheaper [/cough], try it out.

PostPosted: 18:20 on Thursday September 24th 2009 

Hi gentlemen.

I am going to order some of this when my supply of Oregon is done in a couple of weeks. It turns out that the man who owns this business lives not more than 20 minutes away from me!

I ended up with a broken fiddle -
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories.
And not a single regret. (E. L. Masters)

Kindly take a look at my blog: http://www.weavingcowboy.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 16:47 on Wednesday September 30th 2009 

Man, what a bunch of enablers :lol: You guys are as bad as those guys over at the shaving forums, if you think that razor is good, then you need to try this razor! Pretty soon you have a whole cabinet full. So I guess that I have a new AD or acquisition disorder, moustache wax acquisition disorder or mwad. So I have gone from Clubman to DIY and now I just ordered a tin of this highly recommended wax. I will post my opinion after use. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18:40 on Wednesday September 30th 2009 

This has quickly become my favorite wax. I have basically the same morning routine as Simon (curl it up, brush it out), and this wax holds well all day... I'm heading to the Adirondacks this weekend to summit Mt. Haystack, and it looks like it's going to be a windy and rainy time, so I'll let you know if Hndlebars claims of holding up in adverse weather conditions are true.

PostPosted: 4:32 on Thursday October 1st 2009 

harvmb wrote:
This has quickly become my favorite wax. I have basically the same morning routine as Simon (curl it up, brush it out), and this wax holds well all day... I'm heading to the Adirondacks this weekend to summit Mt. Haystack, and it looks like it's going to be a windy and rainy time, so I'll let you know if Hndlebars claims of holding up in adverse weather conditions are true.

I'm excited to see your milage with Hndlebars moustache wax. I'm a new user here on the forums and a new owner of a handlebar moustache.

I've been using the Clubman moustache wax, which is available at my local CVS, and it has been alright but I live in Florida. As you would imagine, it is very windy, rainy and extremely HOT here! This causes a few problems for me and my moustache.

Hopefully this wax works out for you. If it does, I'll be placing an order soon and I'll give it a shot!

PostPosted: 8:36 on Friday October 2nd 2009 

Dear all!

After reading all you postings here, I must give Hndlebars wax a try too :thumbup: It sounds very promising :D

Cheers,

Peter

PostPosted: 15:35 on Monday October 5th 2009 

I got my order on Saturday.

Results: EXCELLENT!

It is a very firm wax. I used Oregon until this point, but now will be switching. I put it on yesterday morning for the first time and had no trouble with shaping or the ends staying firm the rest of the day. It gives my stache a much better appearance overall, and MIRACLE OF MIRACLES: my wife didn't complain about my ends being up.

It was pretty funny: I have been combing my ends down most of the time to appease my genuinely loving wife. Yesterday, I waxed as usual, but played around with my ends, and really gave them the good ol' twist. I combed my stache out, and came back a few minutes later and looked in the mirror. My stache had two beautiful, perfectly-even ends. With Oregon, the ends would have stayed down, but not with this wax. And the ends stayed nice all day! AND, my wife didn't grump about my mustache!

So heres to Hndlebars, the toast of LeRoy, NY, USA!

I ended up with a broken fiddle -
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories.
And not a single regret. (E. L. Masters)

Kindly take a look at my blog: http://www.weavingcowboy.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 0:42 on Tuesday October 6th 2009 

Just returned from my trip. Hndlebars was definitely up to the test! Woke around 7:30 yesterday, waxed and styled as best I could (there were no mirrors or readily available water sources - we were in the middle of the woods), ate breakfast and brushed it out. The weather held up wonderfully during the morning portion of the hike, but as we ascended and the day grew older, the winds picked up and the rain started to hit. We reached the summit around 1:00, and I made it back to camp by 6:00. My moustache was wet, cold, and felt as though it was sagging - however, as Hndlebar himself says on his website, after a quick run of the fingers over the 'stache, it returned perfectly to shape. I'm more than sold. This wax is awesome.

PostPosted: 7:05 on Tuesday October 6th 2009 

Hi apw1970!

apw1970 wrote:
(...) Yesterday, I waxed as usual, but played around with my ends, and really gave them the good ol' twist. I combed my stache out, and came back a few minutes later and looked in the mirror. My stache had two beautiful, perfectly-even ends.

Oh that sounds very promising :wink:, thanks for the nice review. My ordered wax is still on the way to me. :tophat:

I was just wondering about your quote mentioned above: whenever you combe your stache out - do you also comb out the twisted tips?

Cheers,

Peter